The Illinois Forestry Development Council, through its charge to study and evaluate the forest resources and forest industry of Illinois, determines the:
- Magnitude, nature, extent, and ownership of Illinois’s forest resources,
- Uses, benefits, and ecosystem services our forest resource provides,
- Economic development, increasing employment, and management opportunities relating to the forest/wood products industry,
- Staffing and funding needs for state-wide forestry programs and support,
- Forestry education and outreach programs, and
- Soil, water, and wildlife habitat benefits of forestry practices.